Shawn Ziglari and his team at Choice rescued me from a company unwilling to effectively manage my interests in a condo in Fairfax, VA, in December 2008. I have been a very satisfied client since.
Property management is the company’s first line of business. The team pays attention to detail, communicates promptly and effectively, and enforces great business practices; they thoroughly vet potential tenants, comprehensively evaluate and then take action to address maintenance concerns, and they conveniently team with me to work with my local homeowners’ association.
Choice’s on-line account access provides up-to-date account information and 24/7 access to important documents. The cyber portal supplements and enhances communication with the team.
My relationship with Shawn and his folks taught me what a great Property Management team does:
- Provides detailed invoices, including justification of charges; deploys trained staff to effectively handle questions not addressed in invoices
- Leverages sufficient resources to find, vet, and move-in a new tenant within 30 days of lease termination
- Delivers owner distributions (rents) to my accounts on or before the 10th of each month
- Deploys bonded and insured technicians to effect repairs and to perform scheduled maintenance; ensures costs for repairs and maintenance are competitive and provides photos of work completed on request
- Documents (in our contract) a competitive fee schedule for all services, to include:
- Leasing (finding an initial tenant or replacing a tenant) and lease renewal
- Preparing the flat to show
- Coordinating with and meeting prospective tenants
- Conducting background checks and investigations
- Conducting reviews of tenant references and analysis of tenant income
- Conducting inspections (semiannual) of the property while occupied
- Documenting all activity occurring on and related to the property
- Communicating with me in timely fashion on status of all activity occurring on and related to the property
Choice is a great property management team. Shawn is an absentee property owner himself and often demonstrates empathy for my concerns. My flat is much more than a financial investment, so this and the fact that I actually enjoy working with his team are important to me. Good luck out there.